18 June 2009

The Music of Wing and of Florence Foster Jenkins



In line with today's musical theme, I have given you an interesting video, and an interesting instrument. I now present for your, uh, enjoyment the total destruction of your musical sensibilities and ear drums. Be warned.

Click here if you dare: http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/listen.html

This is a bit old, but I have had it in my "to post" archive for years, and I think it still deserves a place here. Incidentally, this lady is not the first to have made a career out of a rather, ahem, "special voice": Florence Foster Jenkins was well known for her rendition of The Queen of Night Aria from Mozart's opera, The Magic Flute.



Jenkins was incredibly popular, and sang in private venues until finally giving in to popular demand and, at the age of 76, performed at Carnegie Hall in 1944. The performance that tickets for the event sold out weeks in advance.



Jenkins spawned an off Broadway musical, called Souvenir, that eventually played on Broadway and was nominated for a Tony award. Who knows? Maybe Wing will achieve that kind of infamy in the years to come.

Now that I have thoroughly damaged your ear drums, I leave you with a proper recording of The Queen of Night Aria:

No comments: